Amphora Research Systems Ltd
About the Role
As a member of our software development team you’ll be exposed to a wide variety of tools and technologies. As well as developing and maintaining software, you’ll also be working directly with other members of the team and our customers. This is an ideal opportunity of someone with technical skills who also wants to get a wider perspective on business.
Reports to: CTO
In the hiring manager's words:
We’re a small company with global reach; 90% of our customers are outside the UK which has allowed us to expand even in difficult times.
Culturally we’re very innovative and expect everyone to keep up. This is a great place to grow both professionally and personally.
We’re a flexible, supportive employer. We’ve all got families and personalities. Whatever your stage in life we would hope to provide you with a balanced fulfilling job.
We were “remote-first” before COVID and have recently moved to fully remote. We believe this allows us to offer a great working environment to the best people, wherever they choose to live.
Amphora started providing Electronic Laboratory Notebooks for Research Scientists; we were the first commercial provider of such systems and soon realised that deploying record keeping systems into R&D was challenging.
Fortunately, we realised early on that despite it being a very “technical” environment, the key to success was a respectful, human approach.
Nearly two decades later, this humbling realisation informs everything we do; our sales process, product design, implementation assistance and support. Even our approach to commercial issues.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field. Science or Engineering degrees.
- Evidence of passion for your craft.
- Able to learn on the job. We believe that the best programmers are self-taught and in the modern age it isn’t what you know it’s how fast you can learn. This is the ideal place for the curious.
- Unix experience (macOS counts). If you’ve never explored outside the Windows ecosystem you’re not curious enough for us.
- Adequate arrangements for working from home.
- Ability to write software in Java (and Spring), Ruby (and Ruby on Rails)
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Maintenance/Development of our core software product and associated applications
- Customer support (everyone does their bit, keeps us close to our customers)
- Documentation (write up what you write!)
- Infrastructure maintenance
Subject to the requirements of the business we’re open minded when you work. Many of our customers are in different time zones so non-traditional hours are welcome.
Your place of work will be your home.
We do the standard 37.5 hours a week.
- We’ll treat you like a grown up
- We’ll give you the resources and support you need to succeed
- We’ll give you plenty of opportunities to grow and develop
- We won’t stick you in a rigid role preventing you from evolving your job into one you love
- Private health insurance
- No patronising nonsense like free pizza on Friday to make up for the fact we treat you terribly for the rest of the week!
Salary: £25,000 to £35,000 per year
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm
Start date: 01/03/2020