Apprentice Junior Developer
Started in 2016, @futureCodersSE aims to create great coders and to link them with employers. We work with young people, aged between 16 and 24. We help them learn to code through our education programme, of hackathons, coding workshops, project workshops and careers events. We help them to become more skilled and more employable through our work experience programme. We certify their skills, attitudes and behaviours in line with the SFIA skills framework and introduce them to employers.
We don't pretend coding is easy and we encourage all our young participants to work hard, to practice their skills and to improve. We know that this has benefits in terms of employability and digital literacy.
We work with schools, colleges, youth organisations and businesses to identify, encourage and develop young people. Young people can apply directly to be part of our work-experience programme, or might be identified and encouraged through our education programme. Our certification process can help employers have more confidence in recruiting a young person.
About the Role
Due to the current COVID-19 situation - this role is on hold until the company are able to start interviewing and hiring again. You are still welcome to apply, but response may be slower than usual and delayed until the client is able to be back in their routine. Thanks for your understanding.
As an Apprentice Junior Developer you will be joining an established development team for a minimum of 15 months. During this time you will combine learning with experience to develop a set of skills to help you get on the first rung of the career ladder.
The Apprenticeships are likely to start between June and September 2020 and will depend on the employer you are matched with, so we appreciate your flexibility and understanding. You will be notified of your start date if you successfully pass the recruitment process outlined at the foot of this post.
Expectations - Apprentice Junior Developer:
As an apprentice you will:
- work with our software development team to understand requirements and to contribute to our code base, under guidance from the technical and project leads
- follow good practice, including test-driven development, techniques
- show commitment, positive attitude and good practice
- have your code reviewed by other developers
- pair program with others at times
- ensure the quality of your own code helps to ensure that all developed software is of high quality and meets its purpose
- follow current working practices and methodologies for participating in software projects.
You will be:
- a good communicator
- a keen programmer (even if only just starting to learn)
- eager to learn
- patient with good attention to detail
- able to accept constructive criticism and positive feedback
- a creative thinker
Programming skills are transferable, linked to problem solving and creative thinking, and a vital part of understanding technology. Gaining these skills now, through practical learning, will enable you to add to your toolbox, whatever you choose to do in the future.
Software skills are in demand. We pay above the standard apprenticeship wage, in recognition that this is a highly skilled role in a fast-moving, high demand sector.
- you must not be a Computer Science or Software Engineering (or related) graduate,
- graduates of non-development related degrees may apply,
- you must have produced some code yourself,
- you must be able to demonstrate that you are interested in a career in development
- you must be able to commit to the whole 15 month apprenticeship programme.
The application process:
- apply using the button below on DigitalGrads
- you will be sent an application form to complete if you qualify
- be prepared to demonstrate some code that you have written independently
- take a technical test
- attend an interview, based on your code and the technical test
- attend an interview relating to the person specification
Salary: £17,000 to £20,000
Location: Kent or London
Working hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5:30pm
Start date: 01/05/2020