Apprentice Junior Developer
The futureCodersSE team are on a mission to help young people learn how to code. Their workshops, courses and work experience opportunities help young people kick-start their careers in one of the most competitive fields there is.
We’ve partnered with futureCodersSE to offer professional training to graduates that do not have a Computer Science degree. Now they can prove their skills with certified training and find their first software development opportunity.
About the Role
Due to the current COVID-19 situation - this role is on hold until the company are able to start interviewing and hiring again. You are still welcome to apply, but response may be slower than usual and delayed until the client is able to be back in their routine. Thanks for your understanding.
As an Apprentice Junior Developer you will be joining an established development team for a minimum of 15 months. During this time you will combine learning with experience to develop a set of skills to help you get on the first rung of the career ladder.
The Apprenticeships are likely to start between June and September 2020 and will depend on the employer you are matched with, so we appreciate your flexibility and understanding. You will be notified of your start date if you successfully pass the recruitment process outlined at the foot of this post.
Expectations - Apprentice Junior Developer:
As an apprentice you will:
- work with our software development team to understand requirements and to contribute to our code base, under guidance from the technical and project leads
- follow good practice, including test-driven development, techniques
- show commitment, positive attitude and good practice
- have your code reviewed by other developers
- pair program with others at times
- ensure the quality of your own code helps to ensure that all developed software is of high quality and meets its purpose
- follow current working practices and methodologies for participating in software projects.
You will be:
- a good communicator
- a keen programmer (even if only just starting to learn)
- eager to learn
- patient with good attention to detail
- able to accept constructive criticism and positive feedback
- a creative thinker
Programming skills are transferable, linked to problem solving and creative thinking, and a vital part of understanding technology. Gaining these skills now, through practical learning, will enable you to add to your toolbox, whatever you choose to do in the future.
Software skills are in demand. We pay above the standard apprenticeship wage, in recognition that this is a highly skilled role in a fast-moving, high demand sector.
- you must not be a Computer Science or Software Engineering (or related) graduate,
- graduates of non-development related degrees may apply,
- you must have produced some code yourself,
- you must be able to demonstrate that you are interested in a career in development
- you must be able to commit to the whole 15 month apprenticeship programme.
The application process:
- apply using the button below on DigitalGrads
- you will be sent an application form to complete if you qualify
- be prepared to demonstrate some code that you have written independently
- take a technical test
- attend an interview, based on your code and the technical test
- attend an interview relating to the person specification
Salary: £17,000 to £20,000 per year
Location: Kent or London
Working hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5:30pm
Start date: 01/05/2020