Junior App Developer
About the Role
Due to the current COVID-19 situation - this role is on hold until the company are able to start interviewing and hiring again. You are still welcome to apply, but response may be slower than usual and delayed until the client is able to be back in their routine. Thanks for your understanding.
Aimer Media is looking for a junior software developer with a Computer Science background who is excited about the prospect of working to produce apps. You will develop the software for the apps with the support of the development team working to scheduled releases. You will develop your skills to the point where you work on an app project from start to finish.
The Junior App Developer reports to the Technical Director and is part of a five-person development team.
In the hiring manager's words:
We are a small, sociable team of developers who value work-life balance. We are careful with the clients we choose to work with - we don’t just work with anyone who will pay us - and we manage our projects sensibly. We provide an environment for people to learn and develop with us. There is no unnecessary pressure, but during the 9 to 5 we work hard and are a conscientious bunch.
About Aimer Media
Aimer Media is an award-winning app development company that prides itself on making thoughtful and useful apps. Over the past 10 years they’ve worked with many established and reputable organisations including the UK Ambulance Service, The Church of England, Royal Collection, Tate, UNESCO as well as publishing clients such as Octopus, Hodder, and Bloomsbury.
- Software projects that you can demonstrate and talk about confidently. You will be required to bring something you've done to the interview and and explain it to the Technical Director, running them through how the code works.
- A degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering. Crucially we are looking for the ability to think critically about a problem in the way a degree teaches you to do so.
- The ability to work with multiple languages and frameworks, and to learn new languages, tools and frameworks as and when required.
- Experience working with APIs.
- A natural inquisitiveness and curiosity - the ability to investigate a problem and come back with a solution.
- The ability to learn and not be thrown off by your lack of knowledge in a subject or coding language - you must be up for a challenge.
- Good level of literacy, Aimer Media work with many publishing clients, so the words themselves are important.
- A team player with good communication skills and the ability to articulate a technical problem so other members of the team understand.
Responsibilities and tasks
Aimer Media will ease you in and get you ready for their development environment and their approach using these steps:
- You will be given an empty machine with no environments set-up. You will set up your own tools so you understand how it's all built up.
- In the first couple of months you will be given a new project that is non-deadline driven to learn some of the technologies Aimer Media use day-to-day. It will be a fairly simple project with a couple of months working supported by the senior developers.
- The next step is to move you on to existing live client projects that need bug fixes or support, for up to 6 months.
- After the first two steps you will start on a customer-facing, bigger problem; a project with a new feature and a deadline.
- 23 days holiday which includes 3 days between Xmas and New Year
- Ride to work scheme.
- Company socials.
- Annual discretionary bonus.
Salary: £20,000 to £25,000 per year
Working hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5:00pm
Start date: 01/02/2021