Product Development and Technical Services Officer
About Pupil Progress
Pupil Progress was started 4 years ago by two very experienced secondary school senior leaders with a mission to transform the way data is used in education.
We have built a revolutionary web-based platform that supports thousands of teachers in all aspects of assessment tracking, reporting and analysis. We give teachers confidence in their data so they can make the decisions they need to make to improve their teaching strategies and unlock their students’ potential.
About the Role
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing Edtech company. You will be employee number 3, so if it's your ambition to get into a tech start-up at the beginning and help shape the future of the company read on...
Working closely with one of the co-founders who is the Chief Product Officer you will be using the Pupil Progress platform to build and develop new trackers to be used by teachers. From day one you will be involved in the build of Pupil Progress v2.0 and your work will be used by real users within weeks.
You will be working across two related parts of the organisation; Product Development and Technical Support.
Product Development: You will be trained in how to create tracking solutions for any exam boards, course, or bespoke need. You will build and quality assure new tools for our platform that will support teachers with all aspects of tracking, reporting, and analysis. You will liaise with our web-developers to quality assure new developments and bug-fixes. You will also be involved in creating innovative solutions for new areas for development.
Technical Support: Our sales, marketing and customer support team will come to you for advice and requests for technical support with our platform. By providing further support to our clients using our platform, you will also have a fantastic opportunity to talk directly with our customers, not only discovering the benefits they are getting, but also the improvements required.
In the Chief Product Officer's words:
This is an extremely exciting opportunity for an ambitious, diligent person who is interested in product development. You will find no better opportunity to be at the forefront of product development, being trained by me and learning more than you could imagine on the job.
We are looking for someone who is adaptable as you will be exposed to a wide variety of different experiences, job roles and tasks. We will expect you to work autonomously having responsibility and ownership of your projects so that you can develop and gain skills quickly.
We have learned to be adaptive and agile as a company, and we will welcome your feedback, suggestions and ideas and rely on your growing expertise to help grow Pupil Progress. What you will be doing is business critical and you will be an equal team player working alongside highly experienced and motivated leaders in a company where no-one operates as an individual – we all take responsibility for the success of the company. Barnaby Grimble
We are looking for bright, self-motivated, dynamic individuals meeting the following criteria:
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline
- You have a high standard of personal performance and naturally quality assure everything you do and have an eye for detail
- You are a natural problem solver, always seeking a solution with a flexible open approach
- You are adaptable and relish a challenge
- Analytical and logical mindset
- Confident IT skills, with the ability and desire to learn new technological systems
- You are a team player
- You are enthusiastic with a can-do attitude who shows initiative, yet is not afraid to ask for help when needed
With the shifting nature of a start-up we are looking for someone who will flex and grow with the company, be willing to take on tasks outside their remit, or change tasks at the drop of a hat if required to do so. That's start-up life, and if you like stability, security and are afraid of change, this may not be the environment for you.
While programming experience is not required, candidates will be expected to show a natural aptitude, and demonstrate an ability to pick up new skills and learn quickly. In addition to this, the following would be beneficial;
- Some technical ability and understanding of how software products are built is an advantage
- An understanding and appreciation of user experience and product development
- An appreciation of modern development processes such as Agile and Lean
- Experience of using WordPress (training will be given) or any other tech software
- Some experience of a customer-facing role
- The ability to build a good rapport with people
- Experience of an official role in a student society
Responsibilities and tasks
- Product development of our bespoke platform for assessment
- Building data and assessment tracking systems for any educational courses
- Working with our educational consultants to build bespoke tracking systems
- Running quality assurance for new developments
- Improving the user experience of our software
- Working with the CPO to develop new features that meet customer requests
- Develop and implement projects that improve the user experience
- Liaise with web-developers on developments and updates
- Quality assure new updates made by our web development team
- Provide support to customers with getting started and getting the most out of our website
- Lead in-house training and support for new developments
- Create training videos and systems to help customer engage with all features of the platform
- Provide support with webinars to improve customer engagement
- Use other interlinked software such as WordPress and Hubspot (training will be given)
- Company pension
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays as standard
- An additional holiday day for every year you work up to a maximum of 5 extra days
- Option to work from home for part of the week to start with
- Mentoring from a leader with education and business experience
- Direct access to the company's founders
- Fantastic opportunity to experience a range of roles and build your skills and interest
- A role with real responsibility from the start
The hiring process will start with a written task to assess your suitability for the role, followed by a 2-stage interview process using Zoom video conferencing and a psychometric test.
Salary: £19,000 to £22,000 per year
Location: Brighton (flexible remote working to start)
Working hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5:30pm (37.5 hour week)
Start date: 24/08/2020